{Summer Camp} Giant Bubbles Kit Tutorial With Free Printables

How to make giant bubbles with a secret ingredient - Design Dazzle

How to make giant bubbles with a secret ingredient - Design Dazzle

Here’s the complete tutorial on how to make a Super Giant Bubbles Kit with bubble recipe,  how-to instructions and free printable labels.

How to make a giant bubbles kit - perfect birthday present!  Design Dazzle

Super giant bubbles are addicting to young and old.  Kids would love to receive this as a gift or even help make the kit.  I made the simple drawstring sack to hold the bubble kit supplies.  The bubble recipe is shown below and I share the **secret** ingredient to help make the giant bubbles last longer.

How to make giant bubbles with a secret ingredient - Design Dazzle

My teenage daughter enjoyed herself while making these super giant bubbles in our backyard. Like I said, “fun for all ages”! The colors and shapes produced are mesmerizing!

How to make giant bubbles with a secret ingredient - Design Dazzle

This is what the bubble wand stick looks like when dipped in bubble solution and “opened up” to make bubbles. Notice the washer at the bottom of the string this helps “weigh” down the string and doesn’t interfere with the bubbles. Look closely and you’ll see the bubble solution inside the entire area of the “triangle” shaped string and another smaller bubble forming.

Tutorial how-to make your own Super Giant Bubbles Kit…
How to make a giant bubbles kit - perfect child's gift! Design Dazzle

Bubble Kit Supplies:

1 bowl – purchased at the dollar store
1 bottle of “Super Giant Bubble Solution” (recipe below). I used an empty bubble bottle and poured in my secret recipe and attached the label.
1 Set of Bubble Wand Sticks
Bubble Label (free printable below)
Cloth sack to keep everything together

Bubble Wand Sticks

How to make giant bubble wand sticks - Design Dazzle

Bubble Wand Sticks:

2 wood dowels 3 feet in length
2 eye screws
1 washer (heavy enough to weigh down cord)
12 feet cotton piping cord (can be found in sewing stores)
cut into two lengths one 8 feet and one 4 feet

How to make giant bubble wand sticks- Design Dazzle

How to make giant bubble wand sticks - Design Dazzle

Super Giant Bubble Recipe…

Recipe to make giant bubbles with a secret ingredient (yes, don't laugh that ingredient is correct)- Design Dazzle
I used Dawn (blue) dish washing soap.  The recipe is cloudy at first but gets clear after a day or so. Stir occasionally to help dissolve the cornstarch. If  you want your bubbles to have a little more staying power, here is the secret ingredient mix a tube (3 oz.) of personal lubricant (yes, that is correct) with 1 cup of very warm water – mix well. After it cooled I added the water/lubricant to the above recipe. The lubricant was purchased at the dollar store. This recipe is the exact solution we used to make the giant bubbles including the addition of personal lubricant. The glycerin in the personal lubricant is what is needed to create giant bubbles. Regular  bubble solution will not work for giant bubbles.

Super Giant Bubbles Kit with free printable - Design Dazzle

Print the “Super Giant Bubbles Kit” label, punch a hole in the corner, thread with heavy duty string and tie onto the cloth sack.

Super Giant Bubble Kit labels – 4″ x 6″ in size.
Free printables  to make giant bubbles with a secret ingredient - Design Dazzle

Instructions on how to use the Super Giant Bubbles Kit.

Free printables  to make giant bubbles with a secret ingredient - Design Dazzle
Label for bubbles bottle.
A big thank you to Jenny from PrintablePartyPacks for creating the darling bubble labels.

These Super Giant Bubbles printables are FREE and available for immediate download if you subscribe to Design Dazzle!

To receive this free printable – enter your email address in the box below and click submit. Make sure to check your inbox for an email from Design Dazzle. You will have access to all of our FREE printables and also will receive a newsletter (couple of times a month) filled with lots of great information. Don’t worry your email address will never be sold

Sign up to receive our newsletter and all our FREE printables

We respect your email privacy

Printable files are for personal use only. They are not for commercial use.

Tips to help make super giant bubbles: Weather is very important. Extremely hot days and hot sun will pop bubbles quicker. The higher the humidity the longer lasting the bubble. Mornings and late evenings are a great time to try to create super giant bubbles.

Check out our Summer Camp ideas

signature_toni

Posted on July 14, 2011

Categories: crafting with kids, creative ideas, diy tutorials & creative ideas, fun printables, holiday awesomeness, summer camp, summer camp, toni's projects, ideas and tips

Comments

1. Jennifer says:
    July 14, 2011

how in the world did you figure out that lube would make bubbles last longer? thank you for sharing this, because we have some that we've never used ha!

2. designdazzle.blogspot.com says:
    July 14, 2011

Jennifer,
    That's funny! I was at an outdoor fair and there was a guy making giant bubbles. I asked him for his recipe but the only thing I remembered was the ky jelly. I thought he was pulling my leg! Sure enough after googling it – it's a great addition to the bubble solution. I experimented making the bubble solution with and without the personal lube and it really does make a difference!

3. Cocanour Family says:
    July 16, 2011

WOW that is so fun! Thanks for a great recipe and a fun craft to put together.

4. Sue Johnson says:
    July 22, 2011

I made the bubble solution according to the directions, but could never get the cornstarch to dissolve. Has anyone else had this problem or am I doing something wrong? Love this idea and hope I can get it to work for my grand daughters!

• Joyous says:
      June 8, 2014

I am having the same problem as others with the cornstarch never dissolving ~ I did mix it in with the just the water first, really well and it seemed dissolved, and then adding the other ingredients. It’s been sitting on the counter for 6 hours and I have to keep stirring it but it just all comes back together in a sludge along the bottom.

**ALSO! My solution isn’t blowing any bubbles. It is very watery. Please help! I loved this idea & want to make it work!

Thank you!

June 12, 2014

When I stir the bubble solution the cornstarch is mixed in real well but shortly after it settles to the bottom. I still use the solution with the cornstarch at the bottom. I did reduce the amount to 1/2 of what the recipe calls for and it still works great.

Can you tell me what you might be doing different? What about the Dawn dish washing soap – are you using that? I just made another batch 2 days ago and it works great.

I’m happy to help you!

• Joyous says:
          June 12, 2014

Yep, I followed the recipe exactly. For the second batch I did cut down on the cornstarch so there’s less sludge at the bottom, but still there. I gently stir it back in and when we go to make the giant bubbles, they pop before they can even leave the strings. And yes, I used Dawn, just like the recipe.

I am using this next weekend & I would really love to get this right.

Thank you!

• Sheryl Kary says:
            August 13, 2014

I was told the more you play with it the silkier it gets making it work better & not pop so easily.

August 14, 2014

That could be. Just be careful about getting dirt in the solution. There are some tips I shared on the post – when the best time to create giant bubbles, etc.

5. The Family Circus says:
    July 25, 2011

Sue – use one of the 12 cups of water to dissolve the corn starch in before mixing it all together.

July 25, 2011

You can just make it with Dawn and glycerin. No embarrassing purchase needed.

7. Sue Johnson says:
    July 25, 2011

Thank you, Family Circus, for the great advice! Does the corn starch dissolve completely? I'm excited to try it tomorrow! Thanks again!

8. designdazzle.blogspot.com says:
    August 2, 2011

Sue – The cornstarch dissolves after a day or two. Stir well! I used the bubble solution while there was still a little cornstarch settled at the bottom of the bowl -didn't seem to hurt the bubbles.

Anonymous – Glycerin can also be used instead of the *personal lube*. However, glycerin is much harder to find and it is very expensive – $8 for a bottle. The *personal lube* was purchased for $1 at the dollar store – much, much cheaper! : )

• lance says:
      October 1, 2013

try korn syrup for glycerin

October 2, 2013

Yes, thanks Lance! Corn syrup is an alternative. I prefer glycerin because it really helps with the lasting power of the bubble.

9. Christine says:
    August 9, 2011

This looks like so much fun! I will try it out with my grandchildren, I know my granddaughter in particular will love it!

10. Sara Fitzjarrald says:
    August 12, 2011

This looks like so much fun! I tried making the bubbles, and I think I'm having trouble. I halved the recipe, though I wouldn't think that would cause a problem. I stir it all up and it looks milky blue (I used blue Dawn), but after it sits for a bit the cornstarch settles to the bottom and is VERY thick (similar to taffy) leaving the bright blue liquid on top. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it? I've stirred and stirred and stirred and it keeps happening!

11. Kriston Johnson says:
    August 21, 2011

This worked perfect for me. It provided hours of fun for everyone. One of the bubbles stretched of 30 feet.

12. Own A Dollar Store says:
    November 7, 2011

Very creative ! It's nice to know that you can do a lot amazing stuff just by purchasing on the right resources which won't always break your wallet.

November 30, 2011

Here another recipe for GIANT bubbles:

November 30, 2011

Mineral oil or water based personal lubricant? I'm assuming water based?

December 5, 2011

the liquid solution should be a milky opaque blue when stirred. the cornstarch seems to dissolve after a while – but some cornstarch settles at the bottom don't worry about it. mine did and it still worked great.

as far as the personal lubricant – i think it was water based. I picked it up at the dollar store.

16. Tony Ross says:
    April 3, 2012

Just to clarify, is the blue Dawn you used the "Concentrated", or the "original?"

Thanks for the tutorial, I've been looking for this bubble wand for YEARS!!!

April 5, 2012

To avoid embarrassment and being the talk of the town I took the bubble recipe in my local dollar Gen. With me lol! Lube bought with no funny looks

18. Erica {let why lead} says:
    April 9, 2012

Oh my goodness, the secret ingredient is hilarious! Just today I made my first homemade bubbles for my boys, but they were pathetic and popped even quicker than the ones we normally buy at the dollar store. I will be doing this soon! Thank you! (Came to you via pinterest, btw!)

19. Bubbles Glycerin Recipe says:
    April 12, 2012

Normally, bubbles burst after a short time because its outside layer evaporates quickly. That is, until manufacturers came up with an innovative solution through the addition of glycerin. Glycerin, or glycerol, is a thick and colorless alcohol which is a byproduct of soap making process. Its ability to dissolve with water makes it ideal for bubble making.

April 29, 2012

Funny!!

April 29, 2012

Erica,
    My girlfriend and I had a good giggle over the phone when telling her about the secret ingredient. Her hubby overheard part of the conversation with raised eyebrows! Who would have ever thought??

April 29, 2012

Tony – I'm pretty sure it was concentrated.

April 29, 2012

Sara,
    I used the solution even with the cornstarch at the bottom. It still worked for me. I would occasionally stir it. It seemed to dissolve over time.

May 2, 2012

Curious if this recipe works for regular bubble blowing as well–has anyone tried it for smaller bubbles? Can you make a huge batch all at once? Will it last several months?

25. kate says:
    May 18, 2012

what is dish washing soap? is it soap flakes or is it washing up liquid? I'm British – please translate

26. Heather Fish says:
    May 18, 2012

its liquid, similar to hand soap. like what you hand-wash dishes with :)

May 18, 2012

Heather – thanks for helping out. I LOVE it when readers help answer. Have a great day!

May 18, 2012

Yes, Kate it is liquid soap. The brand I used is Dawn Dishwashing liquid soap.

May 18, 2012

Yes, we made smaller bubbles with this. You wouldn't need to add the secret ingredient if you are making smaller bubbles. I think the solution was fine after a long sit. Just make sure the bottle is well-capped.

May 30, 2012

BTW, best days to have success are high humidity, calm winds.. Exactly like today here in TN… This was on our summer bucket list… Today's the day!

June 3, 2012

Thank you so much for the recipe! My coupon group was wondering what to do with all the dish soap and K-Y we got for cheap or for $ makers (if we used a K-Y coupon it would take an extra $1 off our purchase).

32. Enamel says:
    June 5, 2012

Thanks for the great recipe! I think I made it backwards but it still came out great and was ready to use in 15 minutes.

33. Heather and Holly says:
    June 11, 2012

We made these bubbles and had a blast! The powder settled at the bottom and so we kept stirring it and it worked great! You can also replace the 1 cup of Cornstarch with 1 cup of Corn syrup if you are worried about it settling. I love the cute bubble kit!! Thanks for the wonderful post!

34. Shawna says:
    June 12, 2012

I'm having the same trouble with the cornstarch settling! I saw it mentioned that it gets clear after a few days, but the instructions say to let sit for only an hour?

June 17, 2012

We made this and it worked great! But then the next day the bubbles popped immediately after forming. Whats the trick to making the solution last more than one day?

36. happyhooligans says:
    June 19, 2012

Thank you so much! We made this yesterday, and used it again today. What a hit! I shared on my blog with a link back to you. :) LOVE your bubble kits!!!

37. Lynette says:
    June 30, 2012

If you use the secret ingredient, and make smaller bubbles – the bubbles will last quite a long time! We have made this twice now. The most recent time, I handed smaller bubble wands to my kiddos to use it and I saw a small bubble continuing to float for about 25 – 30 feet away! We could see them floating on and over the fence of the neighbors yard and continuing to float and float!

I have one complaint about the super bubbles. They don't seem able to come off the super bubble wand. We will create a bubble (a small breeze is very helpful!) but once it gets so big it will just pop! They never seem to float off on their own for a few seconds. It would be nice to know how to make them survive off the wand!

38. Lynette says:
    June 30, 2012

What is the difference between using corn syrup and cornstarch? I'm curious! My cornstarch never dissolves completely, no matter how many days I stir it!

39. Lynette says:
    June 30, 2012

I have made this twice now, and each time my cornstarch does not dissolve. Each time we want to pull it out I just stir it up until it's scrapped off the bottom and we play with it just fine. I've never had the cornstarch completely dissolve.

40. Heather Smith says:
    July 9, 2012

hi Kate, im from Glasgow i've heard fairy antibacterial is the closes match to Dawn :D

41. Nicole says:
    August 9, 2012

Hi,

I foundation your recipe on pinterest, but the link was not working. I pinned it again form here and have about 3000 repins! Thanks for posting!

August 30, 2012

Could you please tell me where i can buy Dawn Dishwashing liquid in Sydney? i don't seem to be able to find it in any of my local supermarkets.

December 2, 2012

I am in Perth, and can't find dawn here either. I have heard that morning fresh original is the best, but I have used Palmolive detergent with success. Any thick concentrated detergent should work. Hope that helps.

44. Maria says:
    December 10, 2012

So I love this idea! I’m in the process of making several of these as Christmas gifts. Is the corn starch supposed to dissolve?? In the batch I’ve made, it settles to the bottom after sitting for a while.

45. Grace says:
    March 24, 2013

I made this today for my son, it was a bit hit, worked perfectly! Just a little tip to save some money…I went to JoAnns Fabric store and bought 4 yards (8 feet) of 100% cotton piping at $1.99 per yard ($8 total). Then, I had another errand to run at Walmart and came across a 100 foot roll of 100% cotton clothesline (looked just like the piping I bought) for just under $5. The clothesline was located with the screws, fasteners, and picture hangers.

March 24, 2013

Thanks, Grace! SO glad this was a hit!! Thanks for the tips on the piping.

46. Carrie Werme says:
    June 5, 2013

I followed your wand design. But for some reason when making the bubbles I used a different recipe. I used a whole bottle of clear dawn, glycerin and 12 cups of water. The bubbles didn’t work, so I added the ingredients you used to it. No I get bubbles but they won’t come off the wand without bursting. Should I try adding more water to dilute the dawn? Also, I used distilled water. Can I add tap water?

June 8, 2013

Carrie,
      I’m not sure what is happening to your bubbles. Make sure to follow the recipe exactly. Humid mornings and evenings are best for bubbles. The solution might need to sit for a bit. I wish I could help you more…

47. samanthadenaray says:
    June 10, 2013

Anyone wanna help me problem solve? I can get the bubble started then it pops! More water? More lube? What do you think??

June 11, 2013

Samantha,
      Check the weather for humidity. If there is a morning or evening that has higher humidity that will certainly help. Do not do this on aspahlt or cement the heat can evaporate the water quickly. Did you give the solution a little bit of time to set up? Little bugs and dirt can also affect the popping quickly. I would also guess that maybe a little more lubricant might help. Good luck

48. Patricia says:
    September 11, 2013

¡Thank you, we’ll try soon!

49. steve says:
    July 18, 2014

Try using some of the water, boiling, to make a smooth paste with the cornflour. I think the high temp helps the cornflour to release its cellulose? The best UK equivalent to Dawn is Fairy Platinum. Make loads of bubbles by using netting… they go for ever.

50. Cyndi says:
    September 7, 2014

Such a great gift idea! Thanks!

September 9, 2014

Thank you, Cyndi! Any kid will love receiving this as a gift. I enjoy playing with it too!