{Summer Camp} Bird Feeders

Hello Campers!!
We are the girls from eighteen25… and we are so excited to be here today!!
Thank you so much Toni for inviting us to be Summer Camp Counselors.
One of our most favorite things to do during the summer is have craft days with the kids.
So we are happy to be sharing what we made recently. The kids thought they were fun to make (so did we) and they turned out so cute!!

Bird Feeders
We’ve seen a few different versions of these bird feeders around. We thought it would be good for the kids to get their hands dirty and make something for our little feathered friends.

what you’ll need:
  • 3/4 cup birdseed (we got the seed for small birds at wal-mart)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 small envelope of knox gelatine
  • twine or string
  • cookie cutters, molds or mason jar lids
  • wax paper
what you’ll do:
    • mix together the envelope of gelatine with 1/4 cup of water and bring to a simmer while stirring. continue stirring until the gelatine is dissolved.
    • remove from heat and let cool for a minute.
    • stir in the 3/4 cup birdseed. adding a little more if there is liquid still in the bottom of the pan.
    • lay your cookie cutters out on wax paper and fill half way with the birdseed mixture.
    • cut your twine, knot the end and push the knot down into your birdseed.
    • continue filling with birdseed, covering the end of your twine and knot.
    • push the birdseed evenly into the cookie cutter until it’s full.
  • allow them to dry overnight. turning them over every now and then.
  • remove from the cookie cutters and hang them in your trees.
  • then wait by the window to watch for your first guest.

We’re having our Summer CampLink UpParty!

The Link Up Party is for ideas and projects for summertime fun that you’ve created! The party starts Friday 12:01 AM (EST) or if you’re PST  – 9:01 PM Thursday (tonight). Come back and share your awesomeness!  I will choose my favorites to highlight over the weekend : )

Posted on July 21, 2011

Categories: diy tutorials & creative ideas, holiday awesomeness, summer camp, summer camp

Comments

1. designdazzle.blogspot.com says:
    July 21, 2011

Thanks girls for the fun post! Our family has a ton of trees (and birds) we will definitely be making one of these bird feeders.
    Hugs,

2. jamie@eighteen25 says:
    July 21, 2011

thanks for having us toni!! we've really enjoyed all of the fun projects that are being shared.

3. Liz T. says:
    July 22, 2011

my kids will enjoy making the bird feeders. simple and easy! thank you!!

4. Amanda says:
    July 28, 2011

I loved these Toni, they are so fun and perfectly shaped! I've made them from bread before, but not with this method. Love it! 🙂 I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:

5. Michelle says:
    August 7, 2011

Love this but I have a question…….how many bird feeders will this make? I am planning to do this with my Mother's Morning Out kids & will be making at least 15 so I need to know how much Gelatin to buy? Thank you!!!

6. Barbara says:
    September 16, 2011

MOMtreprenuer Crafter of the Day: Summer Camp Bird Feeders

June 5, 2012

I work with Girl Scouts where I live and I think this would be a good project for the girls thanks.

8. Darcie says:
    June 7, 2012

My son is allergic to peanut butter and it seems all outdoor DIY birdfeeders are made with peanut butter!!!
    Thank you so SO much for posting this idea!!!
    Darcie
    (Utah)

June 20, 2012

i used one envelope of gelatin for one large cookie cutter

10. Omi says:
    July 13, 2015

Do these dissolve in the rain?

July 20, 2015

I don’t think so. Where I live – these are put out in the spring and summer.They are fine where I live. So I’m not sure if you live in an area where there is tons of rain.

11. Charleen Kohut says:
    July 30, 2015

I too would like to know how many bird feeders made in a average size cooki cutter can you make out of your recipe.
    Thank you for the great idea.

Charleen

July 31, 2015

Hi!
      If you follow the link to the gals who made the bird feeders, they can help answer your question. This was a summer camp post – so we had guest bloggers do the post. They sure are cute and such a fun idea!