The Cricut machine is a great tool for us crafters. There are many mediums it can cut! Did you know it cuts wood? Well, a certain type of wood! Real wood veneer sheets come with a paper backing and are sold in 12” x 12” sizes (and various other sizes). They’re available in thick and thin sheets. The sheets are flexible and look like medium-weight card stock. I’ve seen Birch, Walnut and Cherry veneers. The veneers can be stained and painted just like real wood. These art pieces just might be my favorite and they’re so easy to make. Create wood art using the Cricut machine.
This is what the 12 x 12 birch veneer paper looks like.
Materials to make sports art:
- Birch Veneer Paper 12 x 12. You can purchase Real Wood 12 in. x 12 in. thin birch online.
- Walnut Veneer Paper 12 x 12
Water Based Wood Stain
- Water Based Polyurethane
- Spray Adhesive
- Birch Wood – “Handy Panels” are 2’x4’ and come in 1/4″, 1/2″ or 3/4″ thicknesses.
*I purchased a 2’ x 4’ sheet (¼ inch thick) of Birch or Maple wood at the local Home Depot. The store employee cut the wood into 12 x 12 size squares for me.
Choose the images for your project. The Cricut Craft room has an amazing assortment of choices for artwork.
Cut the image and size needed on the wood veneer paper.
The football image was cut using Walnut veneer. The Walnut wood veneer is already the dark color (no staining needed).
The basketball image was cut and then stained using an orange colored water based stain. Wipe the stain on the wood veneer paper with a rag and wipe-off excess. Apply two coats. Let dry between coats. Since the wood veneer paper is a paper product it will curl up somewhat after applying liquids.
Lightly sand the “wood frame” with sand paper. Work in the same direction as the grain or you’ll get scratches. Remove any dust.
Spray adhesive on the back of the wood veneer paper cut outs. Place the wood veneer cutouts on the wood. Place a heavy object on top to help “set” the pieces in place. Let dry. Brush on clear satin polyurethane with a foam brush cover the entire board including the veneer cut outs. Let dry.
Hang your artwork and wait for the oohs and aahs!
Cricut Machine: Expression 2 Electronic Cutting Machine
Font Cartridge: Sports Mania
Images: Basketball Corner and Football Corner
Art designed by: Toni Roberts, Design Dazzle
Want your own Cricut Machine? We are giving away TWO – one for you and one for a teacher. Check it out here.
- 15 Fall Crafts for Adults
- Enter A Secret Playroom Hidden Behind Wardrobe Doors
- Tips for Styling A Summer Front Porch + Summer Welcome Free Printable
- Taking a Vanity From Drab To Fab
- DIY Gold Foil Bridal T-Shirts Using The Cricut
- Wood Slice Christmas Signs with Free Template
- Farmhouse Bathroom IKEA Style
- How To Build A Sliding Wall
- China Cabinet Makeover
- Cookie Baking Party Ideas
- DIY: Paper Rosettes
- Capture a Photo Of Santa In Your Home!