How To Make Tissue Pom Flowers

How to make tissue pom flowers - Design Dazzle

I’ve had a couple of requests on how-to make tissue pom flowers. I’ve posted this tutorial before. If you’re not interested in making your own poms, PartyPoms from Etsy sells great tissue pom flower kits.

DIY: tutorial tissue pom flowers - Design Dazzle

Paper flowers are such an easy creation you can make with tissue paper. They’re fun, vibrant and colorful – a great way to decorate for a party or room decor.  Martha Stewart sells the pom pom kit – if you would like to purchase the kit.

Remember the darling nursery room posted with all the flower pom poms? In case you didn’t see:
How to make tissue flowers - Design Dazzle

Tissue paper flowers

Here are easy step-by-step instructions to make giant paper flowers:

Step 1
Take 8-10 sheets of tissue paper – lay on a flat surface. I used 20″ x 30″ sheets. Starting at the short end, make a fold at least 1.5 inches wide. Simply fold accordion-style – flip tissue stack over and make another fold. Continue folding until you get to the end of the tissue. Make sure to press firmly creasing with each fold.
How to make tissue flowers - Design DazzleStep 2
Wrap a pipe cleaner (or florist wire) tightly around the center of your folded tissue.

Step 3
Cut the very end of the stack to make a point or round it – depending on the look you want. Repeat on the other end.

Step-by-step instructions on how to make tissue flowers - Design DazzleStep 4
Gently pull each piece of tissue towards the center of the flower, separate each tissue sheet from the others one at time. Fluff and fiddle with the tissue until the desired shape is found. These flowers are approximately 18″ in diameter.

tutorial tissue pom flowersThe size of the tissue sheets determines the size of the tissue flowers.

how to make beautiful paper tissue flowers

Brand New Blush Light Pink Bulk Tissue Paper 15             Bulk Tissue Paper Bubblegum Pink 20           Bulk Hot Pink Tissue Paper 20
   Light Pink Bulk Tissue Paper   Tissue Paper  Pink 20″ x 30″    Hot Pink Tissue  20″ x 30″

20 x 30 Art Tissue Paper (100 sheets)             Martha Stewart Pom Poms, White, 2 sizes                   Bulk Tissue Paper White Large 20
      20 x 30  Tissue Paper          Great selection of tissue paper colors      White Bulk Tissue Paper

repost ; )

Posted on April 10, 2012

Categories: all about design dazzle, crafts, creative ideas, diy tutorials & creative ideas, toni's projects, ideas and tips

Comments

1. L + A says:
    April 10, 2012

I'm excited to try these! I've always wondered how people make them! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

2. chili pepper says:
    April 10, 2012

We have done these for the last three events we have thrown and they are a huge hit everytime. We have found so many ways to work them into the decor. I love that we can customize the colors by heading to our local party store and perusing the paper napkin aisle. And my teenagers love to fold them!

3. Fox Hollow Cottage says:
    April 10, 2012

Oh I need a reason to make those. They are SO dang cute!!

4. amanda boykin says:
    April 11, 2012

So cute!! I will definitely be making these!! :)

5. Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE says:
    April 11, 2012

I LOVE this tutorial… pinning and facebooking!

6. Blue Dog Belle says:
    April 11, 2012

Thank you for this! I'm having a cinco de mayo birthday party soon, so these will be perfect!

7. Carrie says:
    April 11, 2012

Whats the best way to temporarily hang them from the ceiling?

8. The Bishop Family says:
    April 16, 2012

THANK YOU!!! I was inspired by this!!! I made them for my daughter's 1st birthday yesterday and featured your link on my blog: http://bishopsfamilysite.blogspot.com/2012/04/avas-rainbow-1st-birthday-party.html

Blessings!
    Janiene

9. Bunch of Bishops says:
    May 2, 2012

I featured your tutorial again. I made pom pom chandeliers for a party I threw Monday night. Thank you for your inspiration :)
    Janiene

May 4, 2012

how do you attach these to the roof?

June 5, 2012

These are great my friend had some at her party and i have been looking forward to making some of my own. The tutorial is realy easy to follow. They dont take long to make and look great i made all sizes and carnt wait to show them to my friends

12. alwayslearning says:
    July 10, 2012

I have tried these and have not been happy with my results:( I am off to try again after your tutorial! Thanks!
    Holly

July 16, 2012

Awesome! So this is just a little larger version of the tissue paper flowers we used to make in Elementary School, then? What have you found is the best/easiest way to hang them from the ceiling? Fishing line?

July 22, 2012

I love these!!!! I was wondering the same thing what's the best wat to hang them??

15. Angie says:
    July 27, 2012

We hang ours with ribbon and a small thumbtack

July 31, 2012

These came out great . So cute and easy. The more you practice the better they come out. Thanks for posting.

August 23, 2012

At first, they don't look like they'll turn out, but they do. If at first it seems like it won't look like this, just keep going and it will. Go with 2 colors that compliment each other, like blue-green or purple-pink. Use your favorite sprot team colors, or add some glitter. My aunt made these for my cousin's birthday, and people were amazed to see how easy it was.

18. Sassss says:
    August 27, 2012

My oldest daughter had these everywhere for her bridal shower & wedding. I still don't know who made them (kept forgetting to ask!), but wondered how they were made into balls. The ones I learned how to make were half-domed. Lol, who'a thunk to use 2x the tissue paper & just not fold it in half. I feel pretty silly for not seeing it, right off. These are great! Thank you for showing us this way – I'd have felt like a dolt, finding out, in person. ;)

19. IricksTreasuresAndTips says:
    October 12, 2012

nice! i remember making these in the 70's and have been looking for the same design instructions for a while now! thanks!

October 12, 2012

I'm glad you found this post helpful! Have fun making these cute tissue flowers!

21. Mel@Mellywood's Mansion says:
    October 21, 2012

Hi Toni, Thanks for your tutorial I made these for my babies room – we're all in love with them. xo

22. Country Flora@Hyderabad says:
    October 29, 2012

All over world beautiful flowers!

23. campanitalinda says:
    December 7, 2012

This project is fantastic for any ocasion. instead of buying expensive ribbon for a a gift I make a pom pom and put it on the gift. it gives a great look.

24. myggee says:
    December 30, 2012

It has been many years since I have made these. I appreciated you taking the time to show us how.
    Thanks

January 4, 2013

Best DIY tutorial for paper Pom flowers! Thank you!!

26. Linda Lo says:
    January 5, 2013

What a great idea! TY!

27. Kayleigh says:
    January 21, 2013

I made these in pure white and hung them around our house for our Christmas party, they were great and looked like giant snowballs :-)

28. [...] An tutorial from Design Dazzle on how to make those cool tissue paper pompom flowers! These always look so fabulous hanging from [...]

29. Lesley says:
    May 13, 2013

These are very cute! I am going to make them for my daughters room!!

May 13, 2013

Lesley,
      I would love to see pictures of the pom flowers in your daughters room! Please share when you’re done!

June 28, 2013

These will liven up any childs room! They are so dang cute and inexpensive!

30. Melissa says:
    May 17, 2013

Ok silly question, I just made one of these and it’s flat on one side and rounded on the other. How do I get it to look like a ball like these in the pictures?

May 22, 2013

Meilssa,
      Maybe the tissue paper is too thick? There are varying degrees of thickness. My tissue paper was fairly lightweight – maybe that is why the tissue pom was more rounded for me. It’s just a guess.

31. Rebecca says:
    May 23, 2013

I am having trouble getting mine to look like yours :( I am making these for our end of year office luau and would really love for them to look as good as yours! Any pointers? Yours do not show any discernible middle where mine is glaring. I have tried to pull the paper more but I am worried about ripping. To you pull long ways or horizontally when you begin? How do you get it to look round all the way and from what point do you hang them from?
    Sorry for all the questions! :(

May 25, 2013

Rebecca,
      Maybe use less sheets or thinner tissue paper. Tissue paper has different quality thickness. It sounds like maybe your paper is to thick. Try that and see if that works for you. I don’t think the direction (pulling which way) mattered that much. I hang it from the pipe cleaner. Good luck!

32. Chelsea says:
    June 10, 2013

Absolutely love these! I made a bunch for my brother’s graduation party and they looked so cool hanging all around our deck.

June 11, 2013

Chelsea -
      Yeah for you! What a great sister. I’m sure everyone was impressed with your graduation decor.
      Thanks,

33. Sara Connell says:
    June 24, 2013

I LOVE these! Thanks for sharing! I was wondering where people found them. I can’t wait to make some of these for my classroom. :)
    Sara

34. rosalyn says:
    July 11, 2013

I did it! Great fun but very delicate when seperating. Mine is probably a bit too big-like a football. I will keep practising. Thanks for guide.

July 12, 2013

Rosalyn,
      So glad you tried. Keep practicing you’ll get the hang of it : )

35. janie hendrick says:
    August 13, 2014

I’m using these for my classroom….super excited. Thanks for the how to:)))))

August 14, 2014

So glad to help out, Janie! Send us pictures when you’re done : ) We love our teachers!!