{Summer Camp} Harry Potter Activities Wizard For a Day

Hi Design Dazzle readers!! I am excited to be here today as part of the Summer Camp Series. As a mother of three, I appreciate ANY engaging and quality project that my kids and I can do together.
I am excited to try out some of the ideas that have been shared so far.
My family recently returned from Orlando, where we spent a day at Islands of Adventure, home to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Despite the heat, the long lines, and the crowds, it really was a magical place to be.
Harry Potter Butterbeer Free Printable and recipe - Design Dazzle

All three of my kids love Harry Potter, and I thought it would be fun to make a summer day filled with activities inspired by the world of Harry Potter. This is a great day to plan when you know that the weather that is not conducive to the kids playing outside, as all activities can be done indoors.

Activity #1:

Wizard T-shirts.

Make your own Harry Potter shirt

Get any plain t-shirt.  Black gives the best effect for the stenciling, but a lighter shirt works best for images.

For the “muggle” t-shirt, simply print the page and lay wax paper on top of it. Trace the words with an Exacto knife. If you are careful, you can staple several sheets of wax paper together to create multiple stencils. (I did three at a time.)
 Once you have completed your stencil, lightly iron on,
wax side down onto your t-shirt. Paint your t-shirt, and remove the wax paper.

Another way to create a t-shirt is to print a picture onto “print and press” transfer paper.

trim the edges from your picture, and iron on.

You can download the “Harry P” font here, and customize your t-shirts, or you can click here for the Harry Potter, Severus Snape or Sorting Hat images seen above.

Black T-shirts

Activity #2:

Making Butterbeer:

Recipe for making ButterBeer
There are literally hundreds of recipes for Butterbeer on the Internet, but I tinkered around until I came up with one that is fast and easy, and doesnt’ require any time at the stove, which is great because kids love to help make it!
Magically Easy Butterbeer Recipe:
Butterbeer:
2 liter cream soda
2 tablespoons Butter Extract
2 teaspoons Rum Extract
*drop the extracts into the 2 liter bottle, put on cap and slowly rotate until combined.

Cream topping:
1 7oz container of marshmallow creme
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon rum extract
*add all items together in an electric mixer and combine until smooth.
Pour the butterbeer into a glass,  drizzle with the cream topping, and enjoy!
Free printable Butterbeer labels here.

Activity #3:

Movie Time.

Harry Potter Butterbeer Recipe and Free Printable - Design Dazzle
Get some popcorn, grab your Butterbeer, and beat the heat by watching one of the movies!
Hope your summer is filled with magic and fun.

Autumn Clemons is a Salt Lake City based interior designer,

wife, mother of three, and author of the blog design dump.

Recipe for yummy Butterbeer and print out your own FREE Butterbeer labels - Design Dazzle
Check out all our Summer Camp posts.

There are affiliate links in this post.

Posted on July 12, 2011

Categories: diy tutorials & creative ideas, edibles, harry potter, holiday awesomeness, Recipes, summer camp, summer camp

Comments

1. mysteryhistorymom says:
    July 12, 2011

How WONDERFUL! My daughter loves Harry Potter movies but her favorite character of all is SNAPE! She will love making these t-shirts and trying the Butterbeer! I see a movie marathon in our new future!:) Thank you so much!!! Lori

2. K says:
    July 12, 2011

Thank you for posting this!! I can't wait for the final movie and I can't wait to try Butterbeer!!!

3. Donna @ Party Wishes says:
    July 12, 2011

We are huge HP fans and have been watching the series all week! LOVE the t-shirts! We will definetly be making those!

4. autumn says:
    July 12, 2011

you are so welcome!! i hope you enjoy making the t-shirts…they really are SO easy. but watch out—the butterbeer is addictive!

5. Debbie Green says:
    July 12, 2011

Thanks Autumn!! My soon to be 13 year old daughter LOVES HP and this is perfect for her bday party 🙂 Debbie

6. Kristi says:
    July 12, 2011

Autumn,
    Thanks for posting this. I already made my husband the muggle shirt (I am dragging him to the midnight movie and he is not a fan)! I follow your blog but didn't realize you live in Salt Lake area. I'm from Sandy. So great to have a local designer doing something great. Thanks!

7. autumn says:
    July 12, 2011

kristi,

have fun at the movie! i bet your hubby was THRILLED when you made him that t-shirt.
    🙂
    so glad to "meet" a fellow utahan!

debbie:
    you are welcome!! i hope the birthday party turn out great.

8. Michele says:
    July 12, 2011

I wish my kids loved HP – I do! I just did a post on what books inspired J.K. Rowling and linked to your fabulous ideas for props.

xoxo michele

9. Lissa (Bellenza) says:
    July 13, 2011

Such cool t-shirt projects! Great idea to keep in mind for any theme. 🙂

10. sirius says:
    July 13, 2011

Surprise your Potter-crazy friends with their Hogwarts Acceptance letter! Send it through http://hogwarts-letter.com. Trust me, they are gonna LOVE it. And you. 🙂

Love,
    Sirius

11. sirius says:
    July 13, 2011

Love,
    Sirius

October 7, 2011

Just made the butter beer, but I think I blended the whipping cream and fluff too long – it came out pretty chunky (i.e., I made butter). Flavor was AMAZING though! Hopefully I'll do better next time!

13. www.cantabria-3d.com says:
    November 21, 2011

Gosh, there is a great deal of useful information above!

14. Johnny K.Salinas says:
    February 11, 2012

You made some nice points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most individuals will go along with with your site.
    Magical LED Light-Up Decorative Fairy Water Fountain with Fairies

15. City Girl and Country Boy says:
    February 18, 2012

Thanks for the great Butterbeer recipe – made it for a HP party and everyone loved it!

16. Stacy says:
    March 10, 2012

Sounds yummy! I am going to have to try this soon. 🙂

I'm just sorry I didn't find it in time for our son's HP birthday party.

June 8, 2012

Qui quick question – the recipe says to use cream soda for butterbeer, but the picture is of root beer. Which did you (or others) try?

June 22, 2012

That's the A&W Cream Soda bottle. It's lighter colored than the root beer. Poor form not showing that part of the label in the post, I agree.

July 6, 2012

With extract having an alcohol base wouldn't you need to heat it to cook off the alcohol or risk buzzed children?

July 8, 2012

You have A&W in the picture but Cream Soda in the recipe for butter beer. Wich is it?

21. S Club Mama says:
    August 1, 2012

It's A & W cream soda in the picture

22. S Club Mama says:
    August 1, 2012

This looks awesome! I'd love to make this – soon!

23. SCWenninger says:
    August 7, 2012

Do you know if you could freeze it to make frozen butterbeer like at HP world in Orlando? I loved the frozen ones!

24. Aubry and Ryan says:
    August 11, 2012

Saw this on pinterest and am to try it! Thanks!

25. Alisha says:
    August 12, 2012

I made this tonight…. It's not that great….. Next time I am trying it with root beer… It kinda made me sick to my stomach… My 8yr old who was so excited to make it didn't think it was very good… He said it tasted weird.

26. Eva Marie Myers says:
    August 16, 2012

This was Delish! I made it with pinnacle whipped vodka too;)

August 17, 2012

Alisha why do you hate everything?

28. luv2teachmath says:
    August 19, 2012

Just made the Butterbeer for my kids and hubby. I used Diet Cream Soda so I could partake and it was excellent. Thanks for posting this!

August 25, 2012

Um….. IT'S EXTRACT!! NOT VODKA!!

30. Kim BudgetingBeauty says:
    September 4, 2012

I made this because I found it on Pinterest and it was disgusting. Tastes NOTHING like the real stuff at Universal, and the real drink contains no dairy products, this is basically a root beer float with flavorings :\ I guess if you never had a real butterbeer it might make a fun recipe to try but this is NASTY

September 6, 2012

Made this the other night… SO SO sweet. Might be good for younger kids who still have a crazy sweet tooth, but as a 23 year old (yes, I still love Harry Potter! The first book came out when I was in 5th grade, after all!) this was way too sweet for me and my other girl friends that tried it…

September 11, 2012

Rum extract has 29% alcohol

33. Bree Palmer says:
    September 13, 2012

Alright so in my world cream soda is pink lol is a&w cream soda an american thing ???

34. Mindy Hamel says:
    September 13, 2012

It's pink in my world too!! I thought the photo was root beer at first, hahaha!

September 18, 2012

It's 3 teaspoons to over a 2 liter bottle. That's a half an ounce of extract to over 80 ounces of liquid once you factor in all the cream. So unless you are planning on letting the little tykes drink 2 or 3 batches in quick succession, it should be just fine. It is also a myth that cooking bakes out much alcohol, so if you are concerned about the alcohol in extracts, you shouldn't be using them at all.

September 18, 2012

In America, cream soda is beige. There is one brand that is bright red, but most of the popular stuff is just a normal color.

37. BeanBugCrafts says:
    October 19, 2012

Love the Butterbeer printables!

Just wanted you to know I've included your Butterbeer recipe in my Ten Halloween Kid-Friendly Drinks and Recipes round up. You can find the post here: http://beanbugcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/10/ten-halloween-kid-friendly-drink-ideas.html

Thanks,
    Anna

October 27, 2012

I found your Butterbeer recipe via Pinterest and decided to try it out for my sister's HP-Themed Halloween party. I had made a more complex version before, but this time I wanted to try something a bit easier as she was expecting roughly 30 guests.

Having been to the Wonderful World of Harry Potter, I've got a say this was a miss for taste. The amount of butter extract is too much. Many of the guests thought it tasted weird or overpowering, as did I. The 'official' flavor is more butterscotch-y. However the foam was perfect! I loved how it fizzles and expands (almost like magic) when added to the soda.

Thank you for an easy recipe all the same!

39. kelvin tuther says:
    November 23, 2012

love the t-shirts of yours it is so simple and when i come to know that they are reasonable in rates i really get more excited..

40. […] Click here for a Magically Easy Butterbeer Recipe […]

41. aimee says:
    December 19, 2012

for the muggle shirt, what did you use for the paint?

December 22, 2012

We tried the butter beer last night. First I now know rum extract does not smell nice. Next time I am going to leave it out of the soda. Second this recipe tastes much better when the "frosting" and soda are mixed togher. Third if you put the "frosting" in a cup and then pour the soda in it makes for an exciting frothy sight that is sure to look like magic to small kids. All in all this recipe is worth trying again. 😀

December 22, 2012

Also I think i'll make it more adult next time and use butterschnapps instead of butter extract.

44. Krista Montalvo says:
    December 29, 2012

Thanks so much for the fun ideas! I used your recipe for my girls’ christmas party. I thought you had the best recipe from all the other ones that I found online. I included you in my blog: http://www.amarmielife.com/2012/12/harry-potters-buttered-beer-recipe.html

45. angela says:
    April 21, 2013

at universal we were told that it was butterscotch in the topping… wonder if that would change any flavoring for those who like it.

also, it’s not vegan so I’m not sure it doesn’t contain any dairy.

also, I grew up in the states and there is “red cream soda.” That was all I knew as a kid. As an adult, however, there is just regular cream soda. And they taste different.

46. Harry Potter Dinner Party says:
    October 10, 2014

[…] the butterbeer to be on point, so I tried a couple of recipes and I can personally vouch that this is the most authentic. The topping is a little challenging to make but it is awesome and it makes the whole thing bubble […]

October 10, 2014

Thank you so much for letting us know this is your favorite authentic recipe for Butter Beer

47. anna brimmer says:
    September 19, 2015

the butter beer is amazing! cannot wait to try it