This post may contain affiliate links that, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. Read our Disclosure Policy.
Hello Design Dazzle readers! I’m Kelly from Here Comes the Sun where I share easy crafts, recipes and DIY projects. Do you make your own ornaments for Christmas? We make some every year and this year I decided to take a shot at the hand lettering trend and make some Hand Lettered Chalkboard Ornaments.
This trend has been around for a few years now and is still going strong. I never thought that I could create decent hand lettered art but it is not that hard. Here is how you can make your own hand lettered chalkboard ornaments.
Chalkboard spray paint
1. Paint your ornaments with chalkboard paint. I like to use spray paint to avoid brush marks.
2. After the ornaments are dry, sketch out your basic design with chalk. Chalk erases easier that chalk markers so that is why I used it to sketch first to erase mistakes easier.
3. Using your chalk marker, trace over your chalk lines and use a Q-tip to erase the chalk lines if necessary.Then, thicken the downstrokes of the letters.
4. Add a few swirls and embellishments and you’re done.
It doesn’t have to be perfect. Don’t worry if it looks a little smudgy around the letters. That’s the beauty of chalkboard art. Chalkboards are always dusty and smudgy! I love our new additions to the tree!
Do you have a favorite Christmas ornament that you have made?
Here are some more ornaments I have made:
- 33 Cute Valentine's Day Recipes For Kids
- Minnie Mouse Valentine's Cookie Pops
- DIY Holiday Truck
- Harry Potter Bridal Shower
- 10 Fabulous Summer Party Ideas
- DIY Gold Foil Bridal T-Shirts Using The Cricut
- Mason Jar Aquarium
- How to Decorate a Thanksgiving Table + Free Printable
- Simple Baby Shower Cakes Anyone Can Make!
- DIY Wood Photo Transfer GIft Idea
- 10 Best DIY Birthday Banners
- DIY Embroidery Kit Using The Cricut Machine!