This post may contain affiliate links that, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. Read our Disclosure Policy.
Hooray for summertime! I am so excited to be stopping by Design Dazzle’s summer camp this season. I’m Natalie from Katarina’s Paperie. I love to create whimsical handcrafted and digital party stationary just for kids. Today, I’m transforming one of my favorite summertime treats – watermelon – into an easy stamped watermelon t-shirt. Let’s get decorating!
Do you remember making t-shirts at summer camp? They are one of my fondest arts and crafts memories. Tie dye, puffy paint, fabric markers or even t-shirt transfers, I didn’t care. Making any design I wanted using the blank white canvas was heaven.
Inspired by my crazy t-shirt decorating days, I designed this easy stamped watermelon t-shirt. I made sure to include my favorite t-shirt decorating medium, though, puffy paint. This craft is simple, fun and something your kids can create on a lazy summer afternoon.
You Will Need:
thick white foam
smooth pink fabric paint
smooth green fabric paint
black puffy paint
cardstock or cardboard
medium paint brush
1. Pre-wash your t-shirt. Lay cardstock or cardboard sheets inside your t-shirt. I found the t-shirt fabric quite porous, so make sure you don’t skip this step or you will end up with watermelons on the back of the t-shirt too!
2. Cut a 2 inch half circle from the thick foam board.
Glue the half circle onto the wine cork to make your stamp.
3. Dip the stamp into pink fabric paint. Stamp onto the t-shirt to make your watermelon shapes.
If you want more of a painted look for your watermelon, stamp it again or add some more paint with a paintbrush. Let dry.
4. Using a medium paintbrush, add the watermelon rind. Paint a line using green fabric paint along the outside of each watermelon. Let dry.
5. Add three watermelon seeds to each watermelon using black puffy paint. When making the seeds, keep in mind little raindrops to get the right shape. Let dry.
Wear your t-shirt all summer long…. it’s perfect for the pool, a watermelon celebration or other summertime fun.
Love watermelon and summertime? Check out our free printable Happy Summer gift tags or watermelon cake pops on our blog for some more watermelon inspired fun to make this summer extra awesome!
Such a sweet shirt, Natalie! Thank you so much for sharing. These would be fun as a craft or as an activity for a summer party.
Stay tuned for more summertime fun ideas! Our Kids’ Summer Camp Season will last until mid-July. Want to see more? Check out the full collection (including the archives!) of Summer Camp ideas.
- Minnie Mouse Valentine's Cookie Pops
- Mickey And Minnie Christmas Decorating Ideas
- Enter A Secret Playroom Hidden Behind Wardrobe Doors
- 11 Harry Potter Themed Halloween Ideas
- 15+ Awesome DIY Party Backdrops
- Slumber Party Ideas
- Super Bowl Party Activities for Kids
- Glow in the Dark Water Balloons
- Turn a Nightstand Into a Lemonade Stand!
- Summer Camp: Backyard Movie Fun
- Monkey Business Nursery
- Kids Parties: Easy Idea For The Ceiling
This is so cute!! I love the idea of creating the stamp.
Toni - Design Dazzle says
I know – it is so cute!!! Natalie did a great job!