This post may contain affiliate links that, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. Read our Disclosure Policy.
With just 3 simple supplies, you can create a custom Lighted Christmas Garland that will make your home decor pop this Christmas! Customize the length, colors and lights to make this easy craft all your own!
Hey everyone, Vanessa here from Our Thrifty Ideas. I’m excited to be here today sharing my Christmas craft.
I have a space above my back french doors that isn’t big enough to have a large greenery garland like I was hoping to hang, so I had to come up with something else to put in it’s place. I decided to make my own garland that would fill the space yet still fit in with the rest of the decorations for Christmas. This lighted fabric garland is perfection and although slightly time consuming (throw on a movie or binge watch some netflix!) it is simple beyond belief that even my kids got in on the fun!
- 20 foot string of Christmas lights (I did white, but any color you want will do!)
- 4-5 yards of fabric in your color scheme of choice
- Fabric Scissors
Start by cutting your fabric into 2 inch strips. I cut the fabric length wise and because my fabric has 1 inch squares throughout, it was easy to cut along the lines! Once you have the 2 inch strips cut, cut those strips into 7-8 inch sections.
Now it’s the time consuming part. You’ve got hundreds of strips of fabric that need to be tied onto the strand of lights, so find yourself a good movie and get to work! I tied an average of 5 strands between each light, but depending on your strand it may need more or less.
Tie the strands on with just a single knot, and push the knots together tightly to make the garland seem full. Also remember to rotate where the knots are facing each time, making the fabric go in different directions.
Check it out installed above my doors!
What color and pattern of fabric would you use?
This post was written by Vanessa Barker from Our Thrifty Ideas
- Best Selling Neutral Rugs
- Plan and Design Your Walk-In Closet
- 15 Ways to Style a Dough Bowl For Fall
- How To Make A Balloon Garland (that's gorgeous)!!!
- Harry Potter Quidditch Bridal Shower Centerpiece
- Wood Slice Christmas Signs with Free Template
- Farmhouse Bathroom IKEA Style
- Bedroom Door Decoration Ideas for Girls
- Shabby Chic Mom Cave Bungalow
- 10 Best DIY Birthday Banners
- Resurrection Eggs The Story of Easter
- Free Printable: Father's Day Scratch Off Card