Summer Camp: Spectacular Giant Bubbles

Last years Summer Camp I shared a tutorial on how to make a giant bubbles kit, giant bubbles wand and the recipe for GIANT bubbles.
In case you missed it, you can find instructions on how to make a super giant bubbles KIT
a super giant BUBBLE WAND …
FREE PRINTABLES…
 and the super giant BUBBLE RECIPE (complete with the SECRET ingredient)…
 I used Dawn (blue) dish washing soap.  The recipe is cloudy at first but
gets clear after a day or so. Stir occasionally to help dissolve the
cornstarch. If  you want your bubbles to have more staying
power, add the SECRET INGREDIENT… a tube of personal lubricant. Yes, that is correct!!! Mix one  tube (3 oz.) of personal lubricant with 1 cup of very warm water – mix well. After
it cooled I added the water/lubricant to the above recipe. The lubricant
was purchased at the dollar store. This recipe is the exact solution we
used to make the giant bubbles including the addition of personal
lubricant.

Tips for making giant bubbles:

1. Humidity is your friend when making giant bubbles. Check a weather site for your local humidity levels and what time has the highest humidity. In my area, morning and evening have high humidity.
2. Extremely hot days and insects are not good for giant bubbles.
3. Do not get dirt, bugs, etc in your bubble solution. Dirty bubble solution will not work.
4. A gentle breeze is helpful. Sometimes you need to move slowly when making giant bubbles.
5. The personal lubricant is VERY IMPORTANT when making giant bubbles.
6. The cornstarch doesn’t completely dissolve in the solution.  This is not a problem.You can still make bubbles with the cornstarch at the bottom of the solution. I occasionally stir.
Click here for the complete giant bubbles tutorial
Do you have your own FABULOUS summer kid ideas to share with our Design Dazzle readers?
Thursday, July 12th we will have our Summer Camp Link Up party. The Link Up Party is open to ideas/projects that you’ve made or created and would like to share!  For example – crafts, games, art, recipes, parties, sewing, summer activities, books, recipes – all of the link-ups should be related to fun with kids
(babies, kids or teens)!
Make sure to visit our Summer Camp series.
There are many amazing ideas and projects for summertime fun with kids. Click on the banner below.
Photobucket

Posted on July 5, 2012

Categories: crafts, creative ideas, diy tutorials & creative ideas, fun printables, holiday awesomeness, summer camp, summer camp, toni's projects, ideas and tips

Comments

1. penny says:
    March 18, 2013

I love this bubble recipe. My Grandson loves to make bubbles. Thank you for sharing

2. michelle says:
    June 27, 2013

This didn’t work for me at all. It was far too watery, so couldn’t make even the tiniest bubble. Perhaps I used cheap liquid soap, so tomorrow I will buy some more to add to the solution. It has been standing for two days and still doesn’t work!

I will let you know!

June 28, 2013

Michelle,
      You need to use Dawn dish washing soap – this ingredient is very important. I have made this recipe many times and have always had success. The only other thing I could think of is if you have extremely HARD water. You might want to use distilled water.
      Good luck!

• Michelle says:
        June 28, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions Toni, but I live in Spain and we don’t have Dawn washing soap, so I used another make of liquid dish-washing soap but it was obviously not right. The water is also very hard here, so I will use distilled water as well. I have added more soap and will let you know the outcome tomorrow! Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it :)

3. Melissa D says:
    June 30, 2013

We did this today and had so much fun. The wands were surprisingly easy to make. I was worried about what size dowel and size of washer but just bought what I thought and it worked out well. I am definitely making another set. My husband laughed at the secret ingredient and I was surprised and embarrased to find it at our local dollar store. lol

July 2, 2013

Thanks, Melissa! It’s always so nice to hear others having fun with giant bubbles! Love the dollar store ; )

4. Britney says:
    July 7, 2013

How do you make the bubble wands?

July 11, 2013

Britney, scroll down the post there is a link to the complete tutorial. Have fun!

5. tanya says:
    December 2, 2014

This didn’t work for me either. I’m in the UK, no Dawn here. Upon googling it, I found blue Dawn is concentrated, whereas I used normal washing up liquid. Is this likely to be the problem? Does the soap have to concentrated or would using double the amount (I.e. 2 cups) have the same result? Any advice gratefully received.

December 2, 2014

Tanya,
      It could be the concentrated dish soap. Are you using the lubricant? That is one of the most important ingredients. Also, if your water is hard you might want to get distilled water. I’ve used this recipe for the last several years and it always works. However, I realize it’s hard to get the same ingredients in other parts of the world.

I hope it works for you. By the way, love the UK!!!