Our DIY instructions will show you how to turn a book into a clock – perfect for “literary decorating”. Of course, this isn’t the the project you want to make out of your favorite book. The book will pretty much need to be gutted to make the clock. This fun timepiece is a great way to recycle a book or purchase one from the goodwill store like I did.
- quartz-movement clock kit (around $6)
1. Make sure to remove the pages of the book before you start. Frame a few of the extra book pages to complement your clock.
2. Paint the hands of the clock a color to match your book. The funky brass color just wasn’t working for me. I have many craft paints – so I mixed a few colors to make the right green.
3. Mark the spot where you would like to place your clock piece. Drill a hole for the clock piece.
4. After drilling the hole – it was a little messy looking. So I cutout a green ham (from one of the book pages) and glued it over the hole. Then punched out the hole to make it more clean looking and to hide any stray cardboard pieces.
Follow the instructions to assemble the clock parts. I did not use numbers but you might want too. Craft stores are a great place to purchase number stick-ons. Assemble the clock and there you have it a literary timepiece!
This project takes approximately an hour. Easy, creative project that turns a book into a clock.