DIY: Cat in the Hat Photo Prop

DIY: Cat in the Hat Photo Prop

How fun would it be to set up a little Dr. Seuss photo shoot in the classroom with your students or at a Dr. Seuss party. If you are a room mom or a teacher looking for an easy idea we have one for you, a DIY: Cat in the Hat photo prop. Read Across America is a national reading celebration that takes place on Dr. Seusss’ birthday, March 2nd. This photo prop is a perfect craft for students to make and celebrate with. After making this prop all you need are cute little students (or party kids) faces and you have some mischievous Cats in the Hat.

Materials:

1. Two Paper Plates (2 to make it sturdy)

2. white craft foam sheets (Optional)

2. Two Black Pipe Cleaners

3. Two Wooden Popsicle Sticks (for handle and to make sturdy)

4. Our Free Pattern Printable Hat and Bow (Print on white card stock)

5. Red Craft Paint

6. Hot Glue Gun

7. Scissors

DIY: Cat in the Hat Photo Prop

Steps:

1. Glue 2-3 paper plates together (for sturdiness). Cut the center out of the paper plates in a circle wide enough for a face.

2. If you choose to use the white foam trace the paper plate as a template. Cut out the white foam to cover the paper plates for extra strength. Glue all three pieces together. This step is optional but gives the photo prop a little more sturdiness.

3. Print out the hat and bow patterns on white card stock.

4. Cut out one hat and one bow.

5. Use red craft paint and paint the whole bow red and paint every other stripe on the hat. Let dry.

6. Assemble to prop by using hot glue to glue the hat and bow on to the paper plate face. Bend the black pipe cleaners in half and glue down on the sides of the face. Glue the two wooden craft sticks together and then glue to back of paper plate.

7. Set up a simple backdrop for the pictures and you are ready for some Dr. Seuss fun in the classroom or at your party.

Dr Seuss free printable - www.designdazzle.com

This Cat in the Hat pattern is FREE and available for immediate download if you subscribe to Design Dazzle!

To receive this free pattern – enter your email address in the box below and click submit. Make sure to check your inbox for an email from Design Dazzle. You will have access to all of our FREE printables and also will receive a newsletter filled with lots of great information. Don’t worry your email address will never be sold

Sign up to receive our newsletter and all our FREE printables

We respect your email privacy

Printable files are for personal and school class room use only. They are not for commercial use.

signature_toni.jpg

This post includes affiliate links.

Posted on February 21, 2014

Categories: crafting with kids, creative ideas, diy tutorials & creative ideas, Dr Seuss, fabulous parties, fun printables, party tips and ideas, toni's projects, ideas and tips

Comments

1. Carolina says:
    February 23, 2014

HiToni!

I have a quick question. How can I download the Cat and the Hat printables? I am already subscribed to your newsletter but it doesn’t give me access. Thanks a lot for all the ideas you bring to our eyes!! Love them all!!

February 24, 2014

Carolina,
      Your message got cutoff. Are you already a follower? If so, email me and I will send you the link.
      Thank you!

• Amy Theis says:
        February 24, 2015

Hi there, I am having a difficult time printing it off as well.

2. Brandi says:
    July 14, 2014

hi, I also cannot seem to find a way to download the Cat in the Hat photo prop printable, and I am a subscriber.

July 15, 2014

Brandi,
      Did you sign up for the free newsletter? Once you do this – you will receive an immediate email with the link to ALL the free printables.
      Thank you!

3. Jacqui says:
    February 19, 2015

Very cute! I love that you can use a paper plate. Thank you for linking up to Party Time and we hope to see you again next week!

4. Michele says:
    February 22, 2015

can not get cat in the hat template

5. Sarah Dreyer says:
    February 24, 2015

I register for the emails and still can’t find the link to your Cat in the Hat photo props PDF.

6. Jamie says:
    January 22, 2016

Hello,

I have subscribed to your site however I do not see the link and am not able to print off the Cat in the Hat Photo prop. Can you pleas assist.

Thanks so much

January 24, 2016

Hi Jamie,
      We sent out a newsletter Thursday. At the VERY bottom of the newsletter is a link to all of our FREE printables, including the Cat in the Hat photo prop. We send out a weekly newsletter so you can always find this link to our printables.
      Enjoy!

7. Gillian Collins says:
    April 12, 2016

Hi Toni

I’ve signed up, received free newsletter and clicked on link for Free Printables but cannot download Cat in the Hat photo prop. Looks like its a fairly common problem. Any other suggestions? Can you email it to me please.

April 13, 2016

Hi Gillian,
      Can you tell me exactly what’s happening so I can fix this. I just downloaded it no problem. Are you able to download any other printable?
      Thanks!