In honor of Random Acts of Kindness week Feb.11 – 17, Michaels Stores wants to help spread the word of kindness throughout the week. I was asked by Michaels to make a craft in honor of Random Acts of Kindness Day and “Craft-it-Forward”. I could choose whatever I would like to make (using Michaels craft supplies), as long as it’s something that would brighten the gift recipient’s day. So I decided to make a “You Are Loved – take what you need…” tear-off affirmation frame for teen girls (or anyone). The individual paper tabs are positive affirmations that tear-off (place in a pocket, backpack, purse or tape on the mirror for the day, etc). Maybe the affirmations will help with implementing new thoughts and behaviors! I think this gift would brighten anyones day. Using paper supplies that are more “kiddish” this would be a great little kids gift too!
- One Wood frame square (only $1.00 at Michaels)
- Several pieces of paper (depending on how many colors you want)
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Scrapbook Paper for front of the wood frame ( I used a piece from the Glam Rhinestone Stack by DCWV)
- bulldog clip
- staple gun
- paper cutter
- Use a pencil to trace the shape of the wood frame onto the scrapbook paper. Trim paper with scissors. This paper will be the front of the frame.
- Paint the inside and the outer edge of the frame with a matching paint color. Let dry.
- Using a paper cutter – cut paper to the size needed. For this tutorial 1 1/2″ x 3″ strips of paper worked fine. An 8.5″ x 11″ paper when cut makes about 18 strips.
- Write your affirmations on each piece of paper
- Neatly stack each pile of strips. I have about 10-12 paper strips in each stack (you can do more). Using a bulldog clip – secure the stack of paper with the clip (this will help with stapling).
- Mark the back of the wood frame (about 3/4 inch from the edge) to line up where paper will be stapled to. I placed a dot where each stack of paper should be stapled.
- Staple the individual stack of paper to the back of the frame (make sure the affirmation is reading the correct way). Pay attention to the pencil marks to get everything lined up just right.
- Paint a layer of Mod Podge on the wood frame. Place scrapbook paper on top of frame (the one you already cut out). Smooth out any bubbles. When dry – layer a coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper to “seal” the paper. I was careful going around the rhinestones (that were already attached to the scrapbook paper) making sure Mod Podge didn’t get on them.
Here you go – a sweet gift to make someones day … a tear-off affirmation frame.
“You are loved – take what you need…”
Hopefully this inspires you to create and “craft it forward”
Michaels gave me 5 gift cards ($5 each) to share with others. Check back tomorrow to see what I’m doing with them!
Follow Michael’s Pinterest board Random Acts of Kindness
Share your project directly on Michael’s Facebook page
Use the hashtag #RAOKDIY when sharing on Twitter and Instagram.
Lets spread kindness to others, one random act at a time!!
Posted on February 12, 2013
Leave A Comment