Make Your Own Edible Christmas Gift

make cookie dough holiday gifts
Make your own holiday gifts with your family: and no, it’s not too early to get organized. We make Christmas gifts as a family. It’s a wonderful family tradition! Inside these cutely decorated packages are frozen cookie dough rolls. Who doesn’t like cookie dough? The idea behind this gift is… the recipient can eat the gift as is (cookie dough) or can bake it when they feel like having fresh baked cookies! Between our neighbors, friends and our kids’ teachers and church leaders – we have a lot of gifts to give! The perfect time to start thinking about homemade Christmas gifts is now!  Decide on what you would like to make and don’t wait to long to purchase the supplies. These frozen cookie dough rolls can last a couple of months in the freezer (as long as they are well wrapped with the proper freezer paper).

holiday gifts with kidsIn our family, homemade gift giving is a FAMILY project – EVERYONE helps make it and deliver it! Even little kids (and hubby) can help with this project. Start early and do baby steps so it isn’t too overwhelming. We gave around 50 homemade gifts last year – so it can get crazy.

Instructions to make cookie dough rolls:

Step 1: Gather all your supplies ribbon, freezer paper and decorative paper. Cut all ribbon and paper to the sizes needed. Perfect to do ahead of of time: ).

Step 2: Make your favorite cookie dough recipe. Here’s my recipe –

YUMMY Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe:

2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon hot water
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, and chocolate chips.

This recipe makes about 48 servings. Sorry, I can’t remember how many cookie dough rolls this recipe makes.

Step 3: Place cookie dough on plastic wrap and weigh on kitchen scale. We used 1 lb of cookie dough per gift. My daughter Tayler weighing the cookie dough.

homemade christmas giftsStep 4: Shape cookie dough into rolls and wrap tightly with plastic wrap or wax paper. You are now ready to wrap with freezer paper.

Step 5: Wrap the cookie dough in freezer paper. We then placed a piece of colorful wrapping paper around the middle section and taped in place. The bows were made ahead of time and tied tightly on each end of the roll.

Step 6: Tag for cookie dough should read: Keep frozen until ready to use. Let soften enough to slice. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 10-14 minutes in the preheated oven on ungreased pan. Do not over bake.

Step 7: Freeze! Yes, we froze the cookie dough rolls as decorated.

Trust me – I’ve learned over the years don’t wait til the last minute to make homemade gifts. Also, do it in steps – one day cut out all the paper, another day make all the ribbon bows, etc. Check out my post where I show you how to make ribbon bows. Making homemade Christmas gifts with the family takes a little planning and organization, but it’s worth it in the end. ENJOY!

Download some cookie dough baking instruction tags to add to your gifts.

The Cookie Dough Tags are FREE and available for immediate download by subscribing to Design Dazzle!

To receive this free printable – enter your email address in the box below and click submit. Make sure to check your inbox for an email from Design Dazzle. You will have access to all of our FREE printables and also will receive a newsletter filled with lots of great information. Don’t worry your email address will never be sold

Printable files are for personal use only. They are not for commercial use.

Reynolds Freezer Paper, 150 Square Feet (Pack of 3)

Reynolds Freezer Paper            Nestle Toll House Milk Chocolate Morsels, 11.5-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)

Nestle Toll House Milk Chocolate Morsels, (Pack of 12)

signature_toni.jpg

Posted on December 7, 2010

Categories: christmas, diy tutorials & creative ideas, edibles, holiday awesomeness, holiday ideas, toni's projects, ideas and tips

Comments

1. Love the Decor! says:
    December 7, 2010

Beautiful packages and great ideas too!!
    Have a wonderful day and thank you for sharing!!

2. Romance In A Glance says:
    December 7, 2010

Love the way they are wrapped and I love that you do the cookie dough yourself!

3. Louyse says:
    December 7, 2010

I want to be you when I grow up! Great idea!! We are going to get it done this weekend.

4. Gigi says:
    December 7, 2010

My husband suggested I give frozen cookie dough instead of baked cookies for the very reason you said. However, I did not know exactly how to go about it…so happy I found your blog…Thank you so much!!!

5. Pamela says:
    December 7, 2010

Oh this is the coolest gift. I love the cookie dough. And the post below with the snowman soup. How adorable. I needed some ideas and think I have found them. (Although I can't imagine making 50!) I love that you allow the children to help, too.

6. Joanne Kennedy says:
    December 7, 2010

Great idea and it saves time by not having to bake all the cookies yourself before you deliver them.

7. contractors seo says:
    December 8, 2010

Cookies look delicious. Well how much time does it take, the whole process?

December 8, 2010

It depends on how many you make. I would say about 15 minutes per dough roll to make and package. The most time consuming part is cutting the ribbon, Christmas paper, freezer paper, making bows, etc.
    I also had my family helping with most of it.

9. contractors seo says:
    December 10, 2010

I see! Thanks.

10. Akukan says:
    September 18, 2013

Wow! What a great idea! Specially because it can be eaten as is or bakes :D I just have a few doubts: so, you freeze the rolls already decorated, wrapped up and all set? When do you take them out of the freezer? Won’t they start to “sweat” and ruin the wrapping paper? Will it be bad if the roll unfreezes and then the person who received it freezes it again? Thank you so much for this idea! :D

September 19, 2013

Akukan,
      Yes, the rolls are frozen already decorated with ribbon and everything. You can have the tags ready to go and just tie them on when you take them out of the freezer. I take them out of the freezer right before we go to drop off the gifts to our neighbors and friends. No it doesn’t start to “sweat” unless it was 110 degrees outside then maybe : ) It’s typically not a good idea to let something completely thaw and re-freeze it. But it’s usually not out that long when we go drop it off to our friends. This isn’t something we would leave on the porch or take to a work environment where they might not have easy access to a freezer.
      Good luck!!

• Akukan says:
        September 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your answer! When it comes to Christmas it’s never too soon to start planning :) thank you for the answers :)

11. Akukan says:
    September 18, 2013

By the way, which freezer paper did you use, if it’s not asking too much? :) Because I don’t have it where I live and I will have to order it online.

September 19, 2013

I used this brank Reynolds Freezer Paper
      Reynolds Freezer Paper. But most brands would probably work.
      Have fun!

• Akukan says:
        September 20, 2013

Thanks! I got a bit confused when I saw that this kind of paper is also used for craft and art, but I soon realised that it was indeed the same paper. Thank you so much, I’ll be searching for it :)

August 5, 2014

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thanks for providing this info.

Here is my page: _