Mermaid Party Ideas

mermaid party ideasWhen I first laid eyes on this mermaid doll, I had to have her!! Thus the mermaid party was born! This was such a fun table to create and figure out for an under-the-sea celebration. Some of these decorations are Christmas ornaments and picks from the floral department. Keep a lookout for after Christmas/holiday sales – items that don’t look “Christmasy”. In planning a baby shower or birthday party, knowing far in advance what you’re looking for sure can help keep costs down.

mermaid costume ideaDoesn’t every mermaid need a sea shell crown? To make the crown I used the following supplies:
plastic birthday crown
shower curtain rings (star fish)
christmas ornament (shell)
Christmas glitter floral pick
gold spray paint
bright colored spray paint
wire
hot glue
glitter, glitter, glitter

Taylor (a friends daughter) is the mermaid model – isn’t she adorable? I know, I know the seahorse is the bomb! It’s paper mache and no I didn’t paint it, it came that way. I also designed the mermaid costume – fabric was purchased for cheap in the LA fabric district. Starfish shape was cut out of the confetti glitter fabric and ironed on to the top with fusing fabric.

mermaid invitation Isn’t glitter better on everything? Weeeell… not on my husbands face (especially when we’re sitting in church) the poor guy…having to live with a crafty wife will do that to you. Glitter can get everywhere…

mermaid party gameThe dolphin ring toss game is available here.

mermaid table decorations
A seahorse Christmas ornament and ribbon are made into a napkin ring holder. If you don’t want to spend money on fancy plates, concentrate on making napkin ring holders a little fancier. Plain dinner plates can be dressed-up with napkin ring holders.

Starfish shaped chocolate lollipops – image from here.
Floating mermaid balloon sculpture from here.
The following images are from LA Sweet Settings.
mermaid party inspirationAdorable appliqued under the sea tablecloth.
Molded seashell chocolates dusted with luster dust.

Someone is a very talented artist. Oh my goodness..I LOVE the seahorse, fish and bubbles! The seaweed is made out of crepe/tissue paper and the white lights add the perfect touch.

Add crepe paper and ribbon to a stick to create mermaid limbo – image from here.

Little Dance Invitations creates the cutest invitations from your child’s photo. Email this company your child’s photo and they will make unique invites for your special event. LDI is located in Australia but do ship internationally.

The clam shell is handmade. The shell back was a piece of board cut and painted to look like a shell. A snow toboggan was attached to the board and painted to match the clam back. A small ball was painted for the pearl. Image from here.

Belly Feathers made this inexpensive bubble bath look expensive with cute mermaid tags and ribbon. Great party favor.

Dress your little girl in a mermaid costume for her under the sea/mermaid birthday party.

download under the sea invitationsFree download for sea-star cards. Tricia Rennea created these note cards and also sea-star invitations available on her website.

Posted on June 30, 2009

Categories: fabulous parties, girl parties, mermaid

Comments

1. Frantic Home Cook says:
    June 30, 2009

I did a mermaid party for my daughter's 4th birthday. Aside from the fish nets drapped from the ceiling, I used blue cellophane to make "water" and had a child's bubble machine blowing bubbles as guests entered.

2. Frantic Home Cook says:
    June 30, 2009

I did a mermaid party for my daughter's 4th birthday. Aside from the fish nets drapped from the ceiling, I used blue cellophane to make “water” and had a child's bubble machine blowing bubbles as guests entered.

3. Cherie says:
    July 1, 2009

This is not only such a cute party idea but beautiful too.

The centerpiece is amazing!

4. Thanks so much for featuring my bubble bath party favors in your post! If anyone would like me to make some of these for them, give me a shout. My friend is planning a mermaid party this fall, and I know she'll love seeing all of these great mermaid ideas. ~Betsy @ Belly Feathers

5. Thanks so much for featuring my bubble bath party favors in your post! If anyone would like me to make some of these for them, give me a shout. My friend is planning a mermaid party this fall, and I know she'll love seeing all of these great mermaid ideas. ~Betsy @ Belly Feathers

6. Mel M. M. McCarthy says:
    July 22, 2009

These are all such incredible ideas! Thanks for sharing them. I saw a mermaid cake once that was SO sweet. It was a bundt cake with a doll in the center & her tail was put on with icing, so it looked like she was sitting on a rock in the water-it was memorable! :O)

7. Mel M. M. McCarthy says:
    July 22, 2009

8. Nazila says:
    April 22, 2010

Does anybody know how to make those beautiful fish and seahorse?

9. Sarah says:
    March 15, 2011

How did you make those invitations? Is there someplace to download the image? They are super cute and my daughter is dying to have a mermaid party. These ideas are great! I just wish I had the means and energy to do all of them.

March 17, 2011

Julie D. Azar makes the mermaid invitation. Google her to find more info on where to purchase. Good luck.

11. Mermaid Melissa says:
    October 13, 2011

Make a Splash at your next party or event by hiring Magical & Mythical Melissa who is known as a "Professional Real Life Mermaid" that will *Flip* your expectations and turn your pool party into an experience that is, "A scale above the rest!"

January 5, 2012

LOVE the paper mache seahorse!! So adorable! I'm throwing a mermaid party for my daughter's 4th birthday next month– thanks for the great ideas! I'm wondering where you got that seashorse the young girl is holding in the picture? I've never seen anything like it and would love to get one like it in time for my girl's party. 🙂 Thanks!!

February 16, 2012

Yes, I live in southern california also and I'm wondering where you got the seahorse? It is gorgeous! Thanks!

May 12, 2012

Who is the company that did the floating mermaid balloon? I clicked on the link you had under the picture, but it just says page not found. I would LOVE that floating mermaid for my daughters 5th birthday!

15. Tricia says:
    May 29, 2012

How did you make the molded chocolate sea shells? ~Tricia

October 6, 2012

Where can I get the seahorse, fish, and bubbles hanging from the ceiling? I have to have it!!

October 6, 2012

Where can I get the seahorse fish and bubbles hanging from the ceiling?? I have to have it

18. […] credit from left to right: sweets and treats, lounge, favors, signage, pompoms, seashells, flip-flops, wands, crown, octopus treats, outdoor table, invitations, sweets and treats, girls, […]

19. Kasey at PLAY says:
    January 9, 2013

LOVE the limbo idea and the dolphin game! Thanks!

20. emily says:
    May 7, 2013

Hi I would love to know where you got the seahorse also! or if you still have it & are willing to sell, I would DEFINITELY buy & pay for shipping!! thanks 🙂

May 8, 2013

I’m sorry I don’t have it any longer. The manufacturer no longer makes it. I know it’s a bummer ; )